Challenging a
Penalty Notice

Any time that you are issued a penalty notice (fine) by police, you can elect to have it dealt with in the Local Court. This might be to plead not guilty and fight the charge, or seek a reduction in the penalty. Often the purpose of electing to have a matter dealt with at Court is to pursue a section 10. This is a penalty that involves a finding of guilt, but no conviction. This means you avoid any monetary penalty, and importantly you also avoid licence disqualification.

Often strict time limits apply so it is highly recommended that you contact a lawyer as soon as practical to discuss whether electing to the Local Court is the right decision in your case.

© Hearn Legal 2016

Member of the
Law Society of

New South Wales


Leave your details and we will
respond promptly.


Hearn Legal will take your call
24 hours, seven days a week.

Hearn Legal

Christian Hearn

Principal Solicitor

PO Box 37
Gosford, NSW 2250